Monday, October 29, 2012

Hyena

I had to drive my friends around Saturday night. Designated for the night, but that didn't stop me from having fun. We went to a very cool bar on Market St. called Local Edition. It was like a prohibition era meets 80's type of style club. I was really digging the atmosphere.

The music was really upbeat, and it took me a minute to realize that it was a live band playing!



 They are called Hyena, and they are the not so new indie/pop/electro band coming out of The Whale's Vagina (SD) and they are picking up speed in the underground synth pop scene...



(I'm sorry, but watching this video and hearing the intro, I can't help but think that it's a dig at all those club goers...kind of funny if intentional)


Hyena was formed by Michael Cooper & Bryan Stratman and they are pretty refreshing! Live drum kit juxtaposed next to synth beats and deep dance inducing bass lines, tossed in with some heavy earthy vocals from Bryan and you've got a dance party to knock your socks off. I especially dig the 80's inspired influences and absolutely love that their songs are peppered with a bit of dub step, it really puts them apart from all of the synth pop I've been hearing come out. This dingy and dark, yet poppy, genre mixing phenomenon is amazing.

Apparently, they've got a new record coming out titled We Are Hyena, and I scored a promo EP with six new songs from that upcoming album. With songs titled Never Enough, Sweet Lies, and Like A Dream...I'm guessing they are/were inspired by the Cure, or could it just be coincidental? You decide.



I'm really loving this sound. Being such an emo kid, anything with indie roots gets me excited.

One of the songs on the EP, Wander, features Dave Keuning (the Killers) on guitar. It's pretty good. It's even better than good...it's Killer. ;)



When you get a moment. Check them out! More at www.WeAreHyena.com 


Still on that high from winning the World Series!!! ( and other things) GO GIANTS!!!


No comments: